You may wish to offer several predefined licensed configurations of your product, targeting different customer types. For example you may wish to offer the following license configurations:
- "30 Day Trial" license: - includes all product features for 30 Days from date of license activation
- "Perpetual Standard" license: - includes a "Standard" set of features with no expiration date
- "Monthly Professional" licenses: includes a "Professional" set of features for 1 month duration, renewable
- "30 User Enterprise" license: - includes an "Enterprise" set of features for 30 concurrent users
For each license configuration you wish to sell you can define a corresponding license Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) in Software Potential. Each SKU is in effect a license template from which you can subsequently issue individual licenses on demand. For frequently issued license types, issuing the license from a SKU is much quicker and less prone to error than creating a corresponding custom license on each occasion.
A license Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is a license template from which individual licenses may be issued. In effect a license SKU predefines all the properties of a license, including:
- Environment and Locking - either Standalone, Network, Removable, or Cloud
- Lifecycle - - either Perpetual, Time-limited or Subscription
- Activation controls - when, where and how often the license may be activated.
When a license is subsequently issued from a SKU the various license properties will be set to the predefined values in the SKU.
SKUs simplify the issuance of frequently issue license types, particularly when issuing licenses programmatically via third party applications such as CRM, ERP, eCommerce, Marketplaces etc.
Create a SKU
You can create a license SKU using the Software Potential UI - see Create SKU for more details.
Issue License From SKU
You can issue a license from a SKU either:
- Manually using the Software Potential UI (see Issue License from SKU) or
- Programmatically using the Software Potential Web Services (see Issue License from SKU Programmatically).
Article is closed for comments.