A license Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is a license template from which individual licenses may be issued. In effect a SKU predefines all the properties of a license, including:
- Environment and Locking,
- Lifecycle and
- Activation controls.
When a license is subsequently issued from a SKU the various license properties will be set to the predefined values in the SKU. Issuing licenses from a SKU can be more efficient than issuing individual custom licenses as all license properties are predefined in the SKU.
Typically, you will create SKUs for frequently issued license types that reflect different editions of your product e.g. 30 Day Trial License, Perpetual Standard License, Perpetual Professional, Annual Subscription Enterprise etc.
Please see Getting Started With SKUs for more details.
To create a SKU:
Step 1: Select Product and Features
- Select Define and then the Create SKUs option in the main navigation.
- Enter a Name to identify the SKU when later issuing a license from the SKU. Select either a Commercial or Evaluation (non-commercial) license type.
- Select the Product Version in the drop down list of available Product Versions.
- Optionally, use the checkboxes to select one or more features from the list of Available Features to be added to the license.
- Optionally click the Edit icon for a feature to set one or more limitations on the feature and then click the Save icon to save the settings.
- Add a Default Description if required; this will be added as the description in any license subsequently issued from the SKU.
- Click Next to move to the next step in the wizard.
Step 2: Select Environment and Locking
- Select the Environment from the available options.
The available options are:
- Restricted Standalone
- Unrestricted Standalone
The Unrestricted Standalone option is NOT supported in the new Sp Agent Runtime.
Step 3: Select Lifecycle
- Select the license lifecycle from the available options.
The available options are:
Step 4: Select Usage
- Set the Maximum Activations allowed for a license issued from the SKU.
- Set the values of the following usage options if required:
- Max Concurrent Instances
- Max Total Usage
- Gather Usage
These usage setting values can be retrieved at runtime in your application code via the SpAgent runtime API to control application execution.
Step 5: View Summary
You can now view a summary of the SKU settings, divided into sections. You can change these if required by clicking the Edit button in the appropriate section.
When you're happy with the SKU settings, click the Save button to save the SKU.
Once the SKU is saved it is immediately listed in the available SKUs from which it is possible to issue licenses.
Hide/Unhide a SKU
You can hide a SKU such that it is not visible to those attempting to issue licenses from a SKU. To hide a SKU:
- Select Define and Manage SKU in the main navigation.
- In the list of available SKUs select the SKU to be hidden and click the Hide button to remove the SKU from the list of available SKUs from which licenses can be issued.