A Perpetual license does not expire, unlike Time-limited or Subscription Licenses.
A node-locked license may be activated on multiple devices, limited by the Max Devices setting on the license. When a node-locked license is activated on a specific device, the license file that is generated and installed on that device is locked to the device and will be valid only on that device. If the license file is copied to another device it will not be valid.
The following are steps to issue a perpetual, node-locked license:
- Step 1: Set Commercial Flag
- Step 2: Assign Customer (Optional)
- Step 3: Add Description (Optional)
- Step 4: Add Product/Features
- Step 5: Set Node-locked Environment
- Step 6: Set Time-limited Lifecycle
- Step 7: Add Custom Tags (Optional)
- Step 8: Issue License
- Step 8: Distribute Activation Key(s)
In the General properties panel set the Commercial radio button to identify the license as a commercial license. This ensures the license can be tracked and reported on separately from trial licenses.
Assign the license to a customer (already created in the Software Potential service) by selecting the customer name in the Customer search box in the General panel. (To select the customer type the customer name and select the name from the drop down of available customers.)
In the General properties pane add a free-text description in the Description field l. This Description will be displayed as part of the license Details in Software Potential portal.
The Description text is NOT included in the license file installed during activation and so cannot be retrieved via the runtime API e.g. cannot be displayed to the licensed application end user via the application UI.
In the Product panel select the Product to be licensed from the list of available products in your Software Potential account. A list of all available Features and Features Sets for the selected product will be then be displayed.
Optionally select one or more product Features from the list in the Available Features panel. See Add Features To License for more details on this process.
Alternatively, select one of the available Feature Sets to add all the associated Features to the license. See Add Feature Set To License for more details of this process.
In the environment select the Node locked Standalone option from the list of the available (mutually exclusive) license environments:
- Node locked Standalone - to issue a license that is installed on the device on which the license application is running.
- Distributor (Network) - to issue a license that is installed in a Distributor service to which multiple instances of the licensed application are connected
- Removable (USB) - to issue a license that is installed and locked to a secure USB device.
While there is an option to issue a Standalone Unrestricted license this is a legacy option supported only in the older SLP Runtime (aka Microsoft.Licensing runtime). This license is NOT locked to a device and so the corresponding license file can be copied from machine to machine.]
In the Lifecycle panel, select Perpetual option from the list of available lifecycle options :
- Perpetual - the license never expires
- Time-limited- the license will expire on given date; this date can be specified explicitly or as a number of days after the license has been activated
- Subscription - the license will be valid for a given period after it is activated but must then be renewed thereafter for subsequent periods
In the Custom Tags panel you can optionally add one or more Name/Value pairs to the license. These Name/Value pairs are included in the license file such that they can be retrieved via the SP Runtime and used within the licensed application e.g. to enforce some license checks and/or to display their value to the end user.
In the Issue panel you can set a Max License Activations value that controls how many times the license may be activated/reactivated. The default value is one which means the license can only be activated once on a device. See Getting Started With License Activation for more details on how this works.
Finally, if you need to create multiple licenses set the Number of License value accordingly. A separate Activation Key will be generated for each license.
Copy the Activation Keys generated and distribute to your customers e.g. via email.